A church council is appointed annually, and is responsible for all business and financial affairs on behalf of the congregation. The council consists of a Chair, Treasurer, Council Secretary, Presbytery Representative and a chair for each of the following committees:
- Responsible for the co-ordination of all worship services - regular and special (baptisms, weddings, funerals).
- Arranges for ushers, lay readers, the order of service bulletin and sanctuary decorations.
- Co-ordinates music with the choir director.
- Recommends to council new members to be received or persons wishing baptism.
- Working with the Minister, maintains contact with those members who are shut in, sick or in hospital, with visits, cards, flowers and telephone calls.
- Welcoming of new members and follow-up.
- Responsible for the nursery and church school children, recruiting and training of church school staff.
- Training of church school staff.
- Selection of the curriculum.
- Develops adult study opportunities.
- Maintains the library, audio/visual aids and equipment.
Fellowship and Social Events
- Co-ordinates and encourages fellowship within the church.
- Organizes the coffee/ tea hour following every service, special occasions, anniversary, lunches, dinners, games nights, and outings.
Social Justice Outreach
- Develops methods of outreach to the community.
- Recommends speakers for better awareness of community needs.
- Responsible for the mission and service program.
- Initiates and organizes fundraising activities and functions.
Historical and Memorial
- Responsible for the preservation of historical artifacts, writings, articles and photographs.
- Maintain a historical scrapbook.
- Involved in recognition of anniversaries, present and historical events.
- Responsible for supervision, usage and maintenance of land, buildings, and contents.
- Responsible for new furnishings and rentals.
- Publishes, edits and distributes the Church newsletter "Sheridan Tidings" four times a year.
- Recruits advertising for the newsletter to help defray the cost.
- Responsible for the media advertising of Church events.
In addition to the committees listed a Board is appointed annually by the congregation. The Board consists of a minimum of three but not more than fifteen members. Although the Chair or other Trustees are not required to attend Council meetings unless their duties as Trustees require their presence, it does happen occasionally that at least one member represents and attends Council in addition to being a Trustee. The Trustees have a number of specific duties but can only recommend action for approval by the Council or in certain cases by the Presbytery, Conference or General Council.